Visit Luxembourg Palace, which is also called the Palais du Luxembourg in French, was once a magnificent castle in Paris, France. It is now a museum. The Fifth Republic French Senate has met here for more than fifty years. The Medici family later obtained the palace after Marie de' Medici took possession of it in 1612. The idea was inspired by the renowned architecture of Florence. The structure is frequently contrasted with the considerably bigger Palazzo Pitti, the location of Queen Marie's 1575 birth. Luxembourg was left to Gaston, Duke of Orleans, by Marie, the Duchess of Orléans, in 1642.
Even though its name had not yet been coined, he referred to it as the Palace of Orleans. Upon the death of Gaston, his widow, Marguerite of Lorraine, received ownership of the royal residence. La Grande Mademoiselle, his oldest daughter from his first marriage, became the new owner of the title. Anne de Montpensier, Duchess of Guise, gifted Luxembourg to heluxr younger stepsister, Elisabeth Marguerite Orléans, Duchess of Guise, in the year 1660. So, in 1694, the Duchess offered it to her cousin, King Louis XIV, as a gift. He gave it to the Duchess of Berry in 1717 as a gift from Philippe, Duke of Orléans, Regent of France.
Marie de' Medici, the widow of Henry IV, received Louis XIII's care after his passing in 1610. As she rose to popularity, she picked the Duc de Piney, a new hotel particulier owned by François de Luxembourg, now known as the Petit Luxembourg and housing the president of the French Senate. As the interior work went on, Catherine de' Medici moved into her new home in 1625. When her son Louis XIII was in town, the Queen was given exclusive use of the western and easternmost suites in the right wing.
Jean Chalgrin converted the palace into a legislative structure between 1799 and 1805. As per the Luxembourg Palace history, he removed the chapel honoring Marie de Médicis on the corps de logis' garden side in addition to the escalier d'honneur to make room for a Senate Chamber on the second floor. Chalgrin enclosed the terraces on either side to make room for the library. A stunning neoclassical escalier d'honneur with an Ionic column and a barrel-vaulted ceiling replaced the long gallery where Rubens' cycle of paintings had previously been displayed.
The Luxembourg gardens, which are part of the palace, are among Paris's most exquisite. A formal garden and an English garden are part of the 24 hectares of public parkland. An oval pond surrounds the French Gardens, which are set amid gorgeous surroundings. Every year, new themes and flower colors enhance the flowerbeds. A southern-facing experimental orchard replaces the romantic English-style gardens that extend to the west.
One of the park's most well-known features is the Fontaine Medicis, which Salomon de Brosse created in 1634. The majority of the sculpture and decorative components of the fountain were gone by the middle of the 1750s. Indeed, by fastening the fountain's anchoring bolts to the Fontaine de Leda, which was already in place, architect Gisors moved the fountain to its current placement. The area is divided into three alcoves by four columns, one on either side of the Medici coat of arms on the massive façade of the fountain.
Marie de Médicis ordered a replica of Florence's Palazzo Pitti for the Luxembourg Palace architecture. Marie de Médicis, the mother of Louis XIII, ordered the construction of the palace. Clément Metézeau was dispatched to Florence by architect Salomon de Brosse to gather drawings for a structure that would imitate the Palazzo Pitti. The Palais Médicis, which bears her name, was erected after Marie de Médicis acquired the land in 1612. Even though it was her most ambitious creative project, the Salle du Livre d'Or in Paris, where she worked, only has a few of the reconstructed architectural parts left today. The paintings she ordered and specified her preferences for through her agents and advisors are kept in museums all around the world.
75006 Paris, France, Luxembourg Gardens, (Europe).
You can visit Luxembourg Palace which opens between 7.30am and 8.15am, and closes between 4.30pm and 9.30pm.
Puppets, rides, and slides are just a few of the many options available to families with young children. Even if you're neither a local nor a tourist, you can play chess, tennis, bridge, or remote-control boats with adults. Free photo exhibits on the garden railings and concerts at the bandstand highlight the cultural offerings.